How to Change the Creation Date of Files on Windows 10
File attributes mainly consist of when the file is created, modified, and accessed. Windows don't have a straightforward method to change these attributes.
In this tutorial, we learn how to change the creation date of files on Windows 10. Two methods to perform this are - using a third-party application or using Powershell.
Using a Third-Party Application
The easiest way to change the date created on a file is by using a third-party application available for download.
1. Download and install Attribute Changer app. Once installed, locate the file you want to change the creation date. Mouse right-click and select the Change Attributes option. This will open the Attribute Changer software window.
2. Enable the Modify date and time stamps checkbox to change the created, modified, and accessed timestamps.
3. Press the OK or Apply buttons. Confirm the changes by pressing the additional OK button in the Processing Confirmation box that appears.
4. Verify changes by right-clicking the file and open file Properties.
Using the Windows PowerShell
The Windows PowerShell allows to view and change file attributes for files on Windows 10. This is a built-in software in Windows thus no need to install it. However, this method is more complex compared to using a third-party application to change file attributes.
1. Open Windows PowerShell.
2. To view the properties of a specific file, run:
Get-ItemProperty C:\Users\Public\Documents\File.xlsx | Format-List -Property *
This command gets the properties of the
C:\Users\Public\Documents\File.xlsx file. The result is piped to the
Format-List cmdlet to display the output as a list.
3. To create or change the value of a property of a file, run:
Set-ItemProperty C:\Users\Public\Documents\File.xlsx -Name CreationTime -Value 6/21/2021
This command sets the creation time of a file from 6/25/2021 to 6/21/2021.
4. Verify the changes by typing the Get-ItemProperty command again, or by viewing the file properties using File Explorer.
In this tutorial, we learned how to change the creation date of files on Windows 10.
You want your files to have the same date for personal or work-related reasons, or maybe your time zone or time settings were incorrect when the files were created.
Thanks for reading, please lets us know your suggestions in the below comment section.
* You will receive the latest news and updates directly to your inbox !